On December 14, 2015, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas denied the Texas Medical Board's ("TMB") motion to dismiss an antitrust lawsuit brought by Teladoc, one of the nation's largest providers of telehealth services. Teladoc sued the TMB in April 2015, challenging a rule requiring a face-to-face visit before a physician can issue a prescription to a patient. Following two recent Supreme Court cases stringently applying the state action doctrine, this case demonstrates the latest of the continued trend where state-sanctioned boards of market ...
All indications are that international telemedicine is well positioned for strong growth over the next several years. The global healthcare marketplace is ripe with opportunities for U.S. based healthcare systems and providers to take advantage of the expanding use of telemonitoring systems and other telemedicine technologies to deliver top flight healthcare to patients across the globe.
However, wherever there are opportunities, there are challenges. In addition to the economic and financial barriers to launching an international telemedicine ...
Many legal obstacles have long stood in the way of telehealth. There are licensure laws, prescribing laws, practice of medicine requirements, credentialing rules, insurance coverage issues, and concerns about privacy, among others. These hurdles have until recently relegated telehealth to the most geographically remote corners of health care where the only means of obtaining medical care is by phone or computer connection to a provider hundreds of miles away. But now, with physician shortages and the ubiquity of the smart phone, telehealth is beginning to show up all over the ...
- Sharing Scientific Information with HCPs on Unapproved Uses of Medical Products: Dos and Don’ts Under FDA’s New Draft Guidance
- Abortion Rights to Be Codified in Ohio State Constitution
- The Guiding an Improved Dementia Experience (“GUIDE”) Model
- Podcast: Antitrust Updates – Changes Affecting Merger Review and Enforcement in 2024 and Beyond – Diagnosing Health Care
- Just Released: Telemental Health Laws – Download Our Complimentary Survey and App